Have you ever been faced with a situation (big or small) that you perceive to be negative or can spiral into something negative? That was me a few weeks ago—Halloween weekend to be exact. I’ve already made an entire blog post on it discussing how a seemingly bad day becomes an amazing one, so I’m not going to go too much in detail. However, I will talk about how that experience relates to changing your thoughts and perception to be more positive.
On Halloween weekend, I met up with classmates at a restaurant to go over our group project. I drove all the way up north from the south suburbs for about an hour, only to realize that I forgot my license and money at home. Instantly, the critic in my head started blaming me for being irresponsible and I was for sure this day wasn’t going to get any better. However, I calmed myself and shifted my thoughts to be more compassionate and forgiving by reminding myself that I’m human and am going to make mistakes from time to time. Once I did that I proceeded to have a good day.
Another instance was later on when I went to a party that I was supposed to be going to with a friend. However, he cancelled. Feeling afraid, because I didn’t want to go by myself, I almost went home. But, I saw it as an opportunity to do something by myself and enjoy it, and that’s exactly what I did.
In both of these situations I could’ve stayed upset and allowed them to ruin my day, but utilized my power of choice to make the best of the situations, and you can too! Here’s how:
- Breathe and see a situation for what it is. Don’t attach any judgments, feelings or perceptions about what’s going on. Don’t blame anyone (including yourself) or anything for what occurs. I know it’s hard, but that’s the best way to make a clear and productive choice.
- Believe that you can handle any situation. No problem, regardless of how hard, stressful or painful is too big to handle. Beliefs are the driving force to our thoughts, feelings, actions and reality. If you believe something is too big to overcome, you will stay stuck. Conversely, if you believe you can overcome anything, you will overcome everything.
- Find the opportunity and keep a positive attitude. This situation is in front of you for a reason whether that’s in the form of a lesson or an action. And, it’s your duty to find out.
- Be patient. It’s tempting to rush or cut corners when things aren’t going our way. But, stay level headed and embrace the situation. Don’t allow yourself to become anxious, frustrated and start complaining.
- Turn to the power that’s greater than you. Trusting this power will motivate and empower you to weather the storm. You will believe that things shall pass and you’ll be a better and stronger person in the end.
You have the power to overcome any obstacle that comes your way. Remember to breathe and follow these steps. You can get through any and everything by seeing the best in it all.